Wednesday, October 13, 2010

"Is that you, Fonts? We meet again..."

Yesterday I had to absolute BEST time trying to figure out what was going on between my system fonts and my Adobe CS5 software (previous statement dripping with sarcasm)!

Like all computer software, there are bound to be some bugs. This one by far has been the most frustrating for me. For some magical reasoning, when I opened an AI file, with the fonts turned OFF (Suitcase Fusion), the file still managed to pull the necessary fonts, and throw the kerning off on only three words of the same font in the document. Sounds complicated? Yes. I know.

Here's the example:
(Illustrator already open, turn on fonts or leave them off, then open file)

(Illustrator quit, turn on fonts, then open file)
Obviously the file was pulling the fonts from somewhere. The curious this is though, with the fonts OFF, I could look in InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator not see the font listed. But as soon as I open that file, the font magically jumped into the fonts list in Illustrator, but not the other programs. My frustrations toiled. 

After many tireless minutes of trial and error, we figured out to quit Illustrator, turn ON the fonts, then open up the file. Being a relatively easy solve, it was still difficult along the way to find out WHY this was happening. 

Conclusion? Read my first blog entry about Fonts to learn where I stand, and I won't rip my hair out.

Be well.




No comments:

Post a Comment