Friday, April 27, 2012

We Need to Talk, Google+.

It was in development for several years. It was being heralded as the great Facebook killer. It was supposed to change everything. Sadly, at least in my opinion, Google+ has most definitely NOT been those things. To some, Google+ has fulfilled everything that they ever wanted in a social media sharing site. Now I will give them that the stark white and clean design aesthetic is a major thumbs up, but it lacks a general sense of character and pizazz. In short, Google+ has failed me.

But oh boy, did it certainly create a buzz leading up to it's official launch. Classical marketing tactics were used by Google to draw in the people looking for the newest, hottest and trendiest social network. I'll admit, I was wooed into it. I was chomping at the bits to get an "invite" from someone who'd already been accepted into Google's new club. And that's when I felt nostalgic, and my memory frolicked back to the heyday of Facebook - the exclusivity factor. Quite frankly, I felt "cool" to get that premier invite, and like I was a part of an elite group.

For about a month, I used it fairly regularly. It became part of my routine "social network check" on my iPhone. I check Facebook first and foremost, then peruse Instagram, followed by a quick few swipes of Twitter, a check-in if applicable via FourSquare, and THEN I'd pay a visit to Google+. Granted, it wasn't in my top 3, but I did use it often. I liked the interface, both web and mobile. It was enjoyable to navigate and easy on the eyes.

The predominately white layout was different, but nice. The familiar profiles were unique enough, and the chat features were great. Friends and I would chat often and share links left and right. This trend kept up for a little while. Then, without notice, interest drastically dropped.  People weren't popping in as frequently as they used to. Links weren't being passed around. Chats and hangouts weren't taking place. Naturally, other companies and business were still updating and sharing like it wasn't affected by my small group's diminished enthusiasm in G+. As of now, the most recent post from one of my friends was January 14th, 2012.

It's clear to me that the Google train has lost a bit of it's steam. I believe that they're just fighting for a spot in a 1-man race unfortunately. Facebook has essentially become the Google of social networks; all powerful and synonymous with defining social media as we know it. Google+ on the other hand has become the Bing; effective in what it wants to accomplish, and still has rabid users and fans, just know enough to conquer the juggernaut. How's that for irony?


No comments:

Post a Comment