Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Infographics Inspire Imaginations Instantly [ironically enough, an INFOGRAPHIC]

Now I know the information graphic, or the "infographic" is nothing new to the online world. They've been around for a few years, however I have recently noticed a strong surge of them all across the board. Surely some people gawk and make fun, saying they're too over-simplified; displaying huge charts and graphs, soaringly large fonts and unnecessarily gargantuan vector images.

I say those people are jealous.

Passing on the savings to youuuuuuu!
I crave over-simplicity. I love it, in fact. Show me something with less than 10 words, 1 image, and 2 colors used, (provided it's designed well) and I'll show you the smile on my face. Those are the ads I pay most attention to. Those are the infographics I like. I think the design world is headed in the right direction with it's new found obsession with neo-minimalism. I say less clutter and let's start focusing and honing our abilities and getting down to brass tacks. People are short-attentioned creatures. Look at modern day commercials. Most are whipping information at you along with buzzing lights and noises it's hard to know what's going on. All you know is that by the end of the commercial, you really want to go out and get a Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man.

Some of these things are the epitome of great design. Great typography, good use of space, marvelous color palette and a great sense of design style. Some I would no-doubt frame and hang on my wall. So I believe that infographics are a great addition to the ever-growing web world. People need/want information, so why not provide them with it in an interesting manner?

Having never made an Infographic before, here is my attempt at making one. The information I'm showcasing? Infographics, of course...
Click for full screen


No comments:

Post a Comment