Monday, March 21, 2011

Marvelous Typography/Design in the Real World

Being in the graphics area of life, I tend to notice great design that often goes unnoticed. Be it a giant billboard that I pass every day on my way to work. Or a small band sticker placed carelessly (or perhaps carefully?) on a light pole. Or maybe even placed right in front of my face, such as a restaurant menu.
Look at that. Simple and to the point. Beautiful.
This past weekend, the wife and I decided we wanted to go to a diner or cafe in midtown Atlanta after church that we've never been to before. Midtown is filled with great places to eat and shop, so we knew we were in for a treat. Literally, the first place that popped up on our map when we searched for "Restaurant" was the West Egg Cafe. We then chose to look at their website and see if we could find a menu.

Upon visiting their website, I was hooked. I had never been so excited to go out to eat before in my life. Their website was laid out in a very classic, yet modern way. The font choice was stupendous and intriguing. A great web layout with plenty of space to boot. Even the photos around the restaurant were fantastic!
Fantastic photo showcasing the natural light .
When we finally made our arrival around 12:45pm, there was a 45 minute wait, and the building was packed. Vintage style art hung on the walls. A photobooth right as you walk in (which was temporarily busted, unfortunately). Great layout with huge 20(ish?) foot ceilings. Everything was carefully chosen to give a wonderful vibe to any patron to walk in off the street.

The West Egg Cafe obviously either knows what they're doing and designed internally (which is most likely the case), or they hired a great outside consultant to design the whole feel of this restaurant. Everything from the great earthy/vintage colors, to the hand-me-down-but-it-still-works-with-everything-else furniture, and mostly the font selection just works on a whole different level.
Yes, even the stools are awesome.
I never thought I would be so inspired by an eating establishment, but lo and behold, I was. I suggest searching for little hole in the wall places around your neck of the woods, seeing as those house the greatest gems.

For more information about The West Egg Cafe visit their website: www.westeggcafe.com!

Be well,

P.S.
It goes without saying that the food was also out of this world. A definitive 5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment